As with all Schools for Children programs and schools, the health and safety of Seaport Academy students, staff, parents and families are of the utmost importance. In this context, Seaport is following Governor Charlie Baker's emergency order to suspend normal educational operations at schools and continue to provide remote learning and social-emotional support for students and families through the end of the 2019-20 school year.
Seaport is responding to the COVID-19 health closure with the following steps:
- The Seaport clinical staff remains available for counseling during this period. Counselors have reached out to their students to set up weekly counseling times via phone or telecommunication application, e.g., Skype, Zoom or FaceTime.
- The Seaport teaching staff is coordinating a distance-learning program in order to mitigate this unplanned closure.
- Seaport is mailing each student a grocery gift card to help offset the meal costs that may arise from students missing meals typically provided at the school.
Specifically, Seaport Academy is providing students and families with robust remote learning and social-emotional support in the following ways:
We continue to help our students learn during this time away from our Chelsea location with:
- Google Classroom, used to provide teacher instruction
- Aleks, or Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces, helping students continue the classroom learning they began at Seaport in subjects of special interest
- Weekly reading support from our reading specialist
- Weekly virtual office hours
- Weekly teacher check-ins with students
Using telephone calls and the Zoom video meetings, we are supporting the social-emotional needs of our students with:
- A weekly individualized therapeutic check-in with each student
- Clinicians making themselves available for support to students and families, as needed
- Group check-ins:
- for students who feel less comfortable with 1:1 check-ins
- providing further socialization of students in a time of increased isolation
- Check-in with parent/guardian, as needed
- Beginning the week of March 30, weekly parent meetings also
- Chromebooks delivered to students who would not otherwise have access to tech equipment
Health and Wellness
- Sent supermarket gift cards to all families to help cover meals they would typically be getting at Seaport
As a Staff
- Weekly clinical meetings
- Weekly clinical supervision to clinicians
- Twice weekly administrative meetings
- Twice weekly teacher meetings
- Weekly All-Staff Meeting
Additionally, every family has the cell phone number of the Seaport director in case of emergencies, questions, concerns and reports.
Seaport will continue to update students and families as the situation unfolds. Visit this website for news. Also, more detailed information will be sent through email. The director has also invited families to contact him directly to share additional questions or concerns.
For ideas on how to talk to your student about COVID-19, visit our sister website: Schools for Children.